TITLE: The name of the committee shall be “Persian Language Committee”.
PURPOSE: To teach Persian language and to promote the Iranian culture.
JURISDICTION: City of Winnipeg
Objective I: Organize the curriculum of the classes, find volunteer teachers, and offer Persian Language Classes in the City of Winnipeg.
Objective II: Establish and operate a Persian Language Learning Centre.
Members: Membership in this committee is voluntary and upon the Iranian Community of Manitoba Board approval. The number of members will be limited to facilitate discussion and decision making. There will be a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of eight (8) members during the academic year.
Committee members will cease to be a member of the Committee if they:
- Resign from the committee.
- Fail to attend four (4) consecutive meetings without providing an explanation to the chairperson.
- Is suspended or removed from the Committee after the Iranian Community of Manitoba Board of Directors’ approval due to:
- breaching confidentiality;
- non-compliance with guidelines of the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Constitution and Bylaws;
- financial fraudulence;
- improper use of Iranian Community of Manitoba resources;
- proven criminal offenses in the court of law.
A committee member may be suspended or removed with the just cause by vote of the majority of the Committee, after reasonable notice and opportunity to be heard by the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors.
Resignation: A committee member may resign by delivering his/her written resignation to the chair of the Committee. Such resignation shall be effective upon receipt (unless specified to be effective at some other time).
Terms: Members will be assigned for twelve months from the 1st of July of each year until June 30th of the following year.
The chair officer shall be a member of and assigned by the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors. The other officers (vice-chair, financial officer, and secretary) will be a member of the committee and shall be elected by the Committee at their first meeting following the presence of new members of the Committee.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE OFFICERS
- CHAIR: The chair will be the liaison person between the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors and the Committee. His/her responsibilities include:
- Preparing the meeting agenda, scheduling meetings, and notifying the committee members of upcoming meetings;
- Moderating the Committee members’ discussion;
- Summarizing the action items and results of each session.
- VICE-CHAIR: The vice-chair shall be elected by the committee members. The vice-chair shall have and may exercise all the responsibilities and duties of the chair during the absence of the chair.
- SECRETARY: The secretary shall record and maintain all the minutes of the committee meetings. The minutes shall be open at all reasonable times to the inspection of any member of the committee until approved by all Committee members.
- FINANCIAL OFFICER: The financial officer shall be in charge of the financial affairs and funds. He/she shall have the duty of preparing all the expense documents to be reported to the treasurer of the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors.
Decision making at committee meetings shall strive first for consensus and then will use majority votes. Decisions can only be in effect if the majority votes of the present members are equal or higher than the simple majority numbers of the Committee members.
Quorum: A quorum of members must be present before a meeting can be official. More than 50% of the members must be present for the meeting to proceed.
Frequency: Providing the presence of the quorum, the committee meetings shall be held every other week. The day/time of the meetings shall be set by the Chair and upon the agreement of the Committee members. In order to facilitate communication, the Persian Language Committee shall have at least two joint meetings annually with the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors.
External Persons: External persons may be invited to attend the meetings upon the consensus of the committee members to provide advice and/or assistance where necessary. They have no voting rights and may be requested to leave the meeting at any time by the chairperson.
Ethics: To promote a peaceful work environment, all members of the committee shall follow mutual respect and understanding in their discussions with each other.
- The Persian Language Committee shall report to the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors.
- The Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors shall guide the committee’s operations.
- All the Persian Language Committee’s products belong to the Iranian Community of Manitoba and shall be easily accessible by the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors for future reference or use.
If acted within the set rules and policies (see Persian Language Classes Rules and Policies), all members of the Persian Language Committee shall be free of any legal obligation and the Iranian Community of Manitoba’s Board of Directors shall accept all liabilities from all sorts in regard to the Persian Language Committee acts and operations.